Underhook Armbar from Side Control
Kristian Woodmansee breaks down one of the most effective submissions from side control - the underhook armbar.
- Traditional Side Control Setup: Learn how to establish a traditional side control by controlling your opponent's inside elbow, limiting their ability to hip escape. This control sets the stage for various submission options.
- Modified Underhook: Discover a modified underhook approach that keeps your elbow off the mat and placed firmly on your opponent's body. This positioning enhances your control and allows for effective transitions.
- Relocating the Arm: Understand the importance of relocating your opponent's arm, particularly when their forearm is positioned across their body. Learn the step-by-step process to clear the arm and create space for your attack.
- Weight Distribution: Master the art of weight distribution, ensuring that your knee remains above your opponent's shoulder to prevent effective hip escaping.
- Effective Stapling: Explore the concept of stapling your opponent's arm to the mat, making it challenging for them to regain control or escape.
- Transition to Armbar: Learn how to transition smoothly from side control to the armbar. This involves connecting your hands, shifting your weight, and using leverage to elevate your opponent onto their side.
- Control and Finishing Mechanics: Dive into the crucial control and finishing mechanics of the underhook armbar. Understand how to prevent hitchhiking and execute a successful armbar finish.
Remember, mastering the underhook armbar from side control requires precision and control. The details covered in this video can make the difference between success and missed opportunities.